- Title: Ravensbruck Barracks 0001
Ravensbrück was a German concentration camp exclusively for women from 1939-1945, located in northern Germany, 90 km (56 mi) north of Berlin at a site near the village of Ravensbrück (part of Fürstenberg/Havel). The largest single national group consisted of Polish women (40,000), 26,000 Jewish from all countries, 18,800 Russian, 8,000 French, and 1,000 Dutch. More than 80% were political prisoners. Many slave labor prisoners were employed by Siemens & Halske. From 1942-1945, medical experiments to test the effectiveness of sulfonamides were undertaken.
In the spring of 1941, the SS established a small adjacent camp for male inmates, who built and managed the camp´s gas chambers in 1944. Of some 130,000 female prisoners who passed through the Ravensbrück camp, about 50,000 of them perished, some 2,200 were killed in the gas chambers and 15,000 survived until liberation.
- Views: 355
- Keywords: gate, camp, ravensbruck
For using this photo send a mail to:
- Similar Media