- Title: Sered Barracks 0001
Sereď was the site of one of three labour camps for Jews established in the Slovak state, a Nazi client state during World War II. The Jewish Code adopted by Slovakia in 1941 established labour camps for Jews. During the winter of 1941-1942, a team of Jewish craftsmen was sent to a military camp near Sereď to prepare the camp for Jewish labour draftees. Before the work was completed, the Slovak authorities had utilised the camp as a detention centre for Jews and as a staging ground for deportation to Poland. The Hlinka Guard, commanded by Imrich Vasina, oversaw the camp.
In five transports, 4,500 Jews were deported from the Sereď camp to Poland. In 1944, an underground movement was organized in the camp and weapons were smuggled in. Many Jews left the camp and joined the partisans when the camp was opened during the Slovak National Uprising in August 1944. Shortly thereafter, however, the Germans regained control over western Slovakia, and the camp was enlarged under the command of Alois Brunner. Over the next several months during the winter of 1944 and spring of 1945, 13,500 Jews were deported from Sereď to Auschwitz and Theresienstadt. The camp was liberated by the Red Army on 1 April 1945.
- Views: 453
- Keywords: sered
For using this photo send a mail to:
- Similar Media