- Title: Jerusalem Old City Dung Gate 001
The Dung Gate is one of the gates in the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem. It was built in the 16th century.
The gate is situated near the southeast corner of the old city, southwest of the Temple Mount.
The gate is the closest to the Western Wall and is a main passage for vehicles coming out of the Old City and for buses headed to the Western Wall. It was originally much smaller, but was enlarged in 1952, after the Old City came under Jordanian control in 1948. After its capture by Israel in 1967, architect Shlomo Aronson was commissioned to renovate this gate.Directly behind the gate lies the entrance to the Western Wall compound.
- Views: 262
- Keywords: Gate, Dung, City, Old, Jerusalem
For using this photo send a mail to:
- Similar Media